Rachel In Mali

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing is going to get better, it's not." -Dr. Suess

8.17.2007

Well, some bad news. Since it took so long to get the paperwork pushed through Peace Corps Headquarters in Washington DC, it was decided that I wouldn't have enough time to complete the funded youth soccer project before I leave Mali. I suppose it was the responsible decision, but I'm still rather disappointed. So for now, I apologize and we won't be taking donations for the soccer team. Of course, I wouldn't just give up on these kids:) My friend Paul and I might begin setting up a "sister soccer team" project to get donations from and establish connections with youth soccer teams in his area. Also, there will be a volunteer in Tioribougou after I leave who will hopefully try to write a new grant.
The days go by exponentially faster as I prepare myself to leave while trying to keep my head in Mali. I know I have a lot to come back to, but it will be really hard to leave Mali. After two years, it really feels like home. It's my life. I speak the language and enjoy eating to and I'm even starting to like coupe de coule music. But, life goes on and I'm looking forward to starting pre-requisites for nursing school. And I miss blackberry-apple pie and tortilla chips:) I leave country September 8th and will head to Morocco with my sister and two Peace Corps friends Juicy and Lindsay. I'll be in Portland for my cousins wedding on the 15th and be in Seattle shortly after that! I'm looking forward to seeing you all soon!!
Oh...and I just took a crazy trip all the way to Gao to fight Guinea Worm (gross). I'll write a good long post about that when I get more internet time:)

1 Comments:

At 5:30 PM, Blogger Christine :) said...

Let us know your plans...cuz I definitely want to throw a huge "Yay for Rachel" party for you! I'm so proud of my sister!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home